Tuesday, February 21, 2012

The Follow Up 
Making an Impression Before You Deliver the Goods




I am headed to Los Angels for a leadership conference this weekend.

Let me preface this entry by pointing out that I don't  go on a lot of vacations that require a hotel reservation. My trips USUALLY involve a 2 person tent and a campfire, so making reservations and staying at a hotel will be a luxury and something I am not familiar with.

I made my reservation about a month ago at the Westin (where the conference is being held) and immediately got a follow up email with a note from the General Manager and a photo of the beautiful hotel:





Your reservation is all set - we're excited to welcome you to The Westin Los Angeles Airport. If there is anything you need as we prepare for your arrival, please just ask.

Stay Well,

Chris Lorino
General Manager

That got me excited. The note was a nice touch. But what REALLY impressed me was the note that I got  this morning in my in-box:

Greetings Michelle,
Your stay is just days away and we're ready for your arrival.

We hope you're looking forward to a great night's sleep on our Heavenly Bed® and to the many delicious choices on our SuperfoodsRXTM breakfast menu. We've tried to make it convenient to keep your routine with WestinWORKOUT®, so remember to pack your gear.

We want to help you be at your best, so if there is anything you need, please just ask.

Stay Well,

Chris Lorino
General Manager

Why did this capture my attention? "We want to help you be at your best" was the statement that did me in. It has never occurred to me that the hotel would in any way shape or form be committed to me being at my best. I just assumed they would want to make sure my stay was enjoyable, not really interested in what I may be "up to" that they could assist me with. PLUS reminding me to throw my tennis shoes in my bag because I could take advantage of their work out facilities was quite nice. A the subtle reminder that I don't have to sacrifice my normal routine while I am out of my natural habitat was cool. 

The other thing this email included was the weather. I haven't really started to think about packing but now I am in packing mindset a few days early and am thinking about the 74 degree weather I can expect!

What did I take away from this? It is the small things that count. Taking the time to anticipate my needs whether it is a automated email or not is huge for me. Also, putting it out there that you are committed to me as an individual was high touch - they could have phrased it any number of ways OR could have just even sent me a reminder of my reservation. 

Put yourself in your client's shoes and be on their team. Be committed to their success and them being at their best. Think about what tools you already use that you could tweak the language that might make a difference. Most of us in business have automatic emails or form letters we send out. Take some time to review them and match them with your values and purpose as a company. 

As always, have fun with it!

No comments:

Post a Comment