Be The Unofficial ExpertEven though you are not
There are 3 kinds of experts:
1. The expert: The official expert in a subject.
2. The unofficial expert: Someone who knows a lot about a subject but not enough to be the expert.
3. The expert researcher: This is the person who is not an official expert, or unofficial expert, but wants some sort of knowledge base, so they learn.
You fall into all of these categories with different subjects in your life.
I for instance am an expert 14er climber. I have climbed 39 of the 54 14ers and have spent over 500+ hours getting to and climbing the 14,000 foot peaks.
I am an unofficial expert in graphic design. I have had some official training but mostly self-taught mastery working with graphic design programs. I can use them enough to produce an awesome end product.
I am an expert researcher in cooking. I have some basic cooking skills, but rely on recipes, cookbooks and the Food Network when I am in the kitchen.
No matter where you fall in any of these categories in any subject, there is always an opportunity to share with your client what you know or have learned. I recently started a series of weekly videos showing clients and colleagues how to use Microsoft Outlook more efficiently. There are so many capabilities, you can not possibly have time to learn them all! So I learn one NEW thing per week, shoot a short video and send it out to a list of interested parties. I am by no means an expert on the topic, but I too want to learn more about it and don't mind sharing!
Here is what my weekly email looks like:
Here is your weekly video on Microsoft Outlook tips.
*Note: This is in version 2007.
Topic:
How to customize fields in your address book.
Useful When:
You want to add a field to store data specific to your industry.
For example: Loan amount, purchase price, interest rate, closing date etc.
Click HERE for the short video.
If you found this useful, feel free to pass along to your colleagues, clients and friends.
Have a great week!
Take a few minutes to share your expertise through an email, a video, a voice-note or a blog! Don't worry if you are not an expert and revel in the fact if you are. Have fun...share what is in that brain of yours!
No comments:
Post a Comment